Edible flowers date back to antiquity when humans were trading their seeds on the open markets just as they would spice seeds. They were used as food and medicine by the Romans, Greeks and Chinese, and were a popular component of Middle Eastern and Indian cuisines as well. Today edible flowers are commonly used as garnishes to add a touch of elegance to many dishes. While exquisite to look at and delightful to smell, beauty is not the only thing flowers bring to a meal. Certain flowers such as saffron, hibiscus, marigold, lavender, rose and many others can be used as an essential culinary ingredient.
Fresh rose petals bring sweet, floral flavor and enchanting aroma to a number of recipes, drinks, salads and sweets. They add a cooling element that is perfect during the hot summer months. An old tradition in many Indian, Middle Eastern and European cultures is to make a preserve out of rose petals. In India, this sweet preserve is called Gukland. It’s used in the Ayurvedic tradition for its therapeutic effects. “Gul” means rose, and “kand” means sweet, so together, the literal translation is “rose sweet”.
That is exactly how we feel about our “rose sweet” certified organic Magliano Rose Petal Jam Preserve. It’s handmade by Isabella Devetta in Italy where she grows a special variety of organic roses called “Duke of Cambridge”. They have a deep crimson color and an intense fragrance that will pleasantly surprise you when you open the jar. Best of all, it contains just three simple ingredients: organic rose petals, organic lemon juice, and organic cane sugar. Unlike many preserves on the market, ours delivers sweet satisfaction without harmful or questionable ingredients.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
• For a delicious breakfast, spread over toast, biscuits, and scones. Or take it up a notch by spreading our spiced dessert ghee over French toast topped with our Rose Petal Jam Preserve. The flavors are out of this world!
• Contrast the sweetness of our Rose Petal Jam Preserve with sharp cheddar or goat cheese on top of crackers, apples, or pears for a healthy, satisfying snack.
• Make a refreshing salad dressing by combining our Rose Petal Jam Preserve with our PRIMALOIL, a dash of red wine vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. This delightful combination will add a subtle sweetness to your salad that is “to die for” on a hot summer day!
• Put a spin on a pork chop dinner by making a fruity reduction sauce out of our Rose Petal Jam Preserve, fresh squeezed orange juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
• For an enchanting dessert spoon our Rose Petal Jam Preserve over your favorite ice cream, non-dairy ice cream or frozen yogurt. Or, make your own parfait by layering yogurt, Rose Petal Jam Preserve, fruit and granola.
• Not an ice cream person? Satisfy your sweet tooth by filling your classic thumb print cookies with our Magliano Rose Petal Jam Preserve.