Chicken Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken)
Recipe Type: Entree
This recipe is paleo friendly, gluten-free and Whole30® compliant.
- 1 lb chicken, cut in to bite sized pieces
- 3 TBSP Pure Indian Foods ghee
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt (or substitute coconut cream)
- 2 tsp Indian Five Spice
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ginger
- Cut chicken into pieces and rub coriander, garam masala, ginger, turmeric, and cayenne into meat. Set aside.
- Heat ghee on medium heat in a large pan.
- Add Indian Five Spice, and fry until it starts to pop. Cover the pan to prevent splattering.
- Add chopped tomatoes, onions, and garlic, and cook until slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add yogurt, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes, or until oil separates. Stir occassionally.
- Season with salt and a sprinkle of garam masala before serving.