This is an easy-to-make great holiday, or anytime beverage which can be enjoyed warmed or chilled. For holidays, double the recipe and keep chilled. Stir well before serving. A generous dollop of dairy or non-dairy whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon, cardamom or nutmeg makes for a fun grand finale.
- 1 cup cashews pecans or almonds, chopped
- 4-5 Medjool dates pits removed, chopped
- 3-4 cups water milk or nut-milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon or to taste
- 1/2-3/4 tsp nutmeg or mace, or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- rum extract or a splash of rum or bourbon, optional
- whipped cream dairy or non-dairy, optional
- cinnamon cardamom or nutmeg, for garnish
- If time permits, soak nuts in water for up to 2 hours. Drain well before using. If time does not permit, proceed with the recipe - it will still turn out great.
- Place chopped nuts, dates, 3 cups water, spices and vanilla in a powerful blender.
- Puree until as smooth as possible. Add more water, milk or nut-milk if it seems too thick. Add a little rum extract if desired. Chill until cold.
- Add bourbon or rum, stirring well, and a dollop of either regular or non-dairy whipped cream if desired. Serve with a sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg over the top.