Ghee is one perfect food item to keep on hand to prepare for and respond to emergencies such as natural or man-made disasters. Ready.gov (a national public service campaign which encourages Americans to prepare for and respond to emergencies such as natural and man-made disasters) offers suggestions on how to select appropriate food to store as part of your emergency preparedness planning. They recommend you have at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Keeping alive is the primary goal, but remember, “Variety is the Spice of Life.” Having various foods such as dried or canned grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits will give you more variety should you need to rely on these for a couple of weeks. When choosing foods, investigate how these foods are packaged for long-term emergency food storage, to ensure viability of the food. Ghee is an excellent addition to an emergency food kit. It can add wonderful flavor to foods you prepare along with providing important nutrients and energy.
Here are some of the reasons why ghee is great choice to include in an emergency preparedness food kit:
- It is a non-perishable food.
- It requires no refrigeration, preparation or cooking and no water.
- It is a high energy food.
- It is a natural source of important vitamins A, D & K.
- It is a source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 which are Essential Fatty Acids (your body can’t make them – you need to consume them as part of your diet).
- It does not contain salt that will make you thirsty.
Be prepared for the unexpected. Having a food storage kit is insurance for you and your family.
“Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy” – Max Mayfield, Director National Hurricane Center
Disclaimer: Please note the views and opinions in this article are for educational purposes only.