- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds whole
- 1 onion, red chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers fresh, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh, grated or finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic smashed and minced
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes drained
- Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2-1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 cup kala chana soaked a few hours to overnight and drained
- Additional ghee
- cilantro chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a Dutch oven. Add cumin; fry for a minute or until browning and beginning to sizzle and pop.
- Add onions; fry for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add jalapeno pepper, ginger, garlic and tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes over med-low heat.
- Add salt to taste along with curry powder, garam masala and Kashmiri red chili, cooking a few minutes to blend the flavors.
- Add kala chana and 3 cups water to the pan. Bring to boil, then lower the heat to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chana is tender.
- Adjust seasonings to taste; serve with additional ghee, cilantro and lemon wedges.