These muffins are tender, aromatic, healthy and delicious! They're great with hot chai tea or coffee, fresh, seasonal fruit, yogurt, nut butters and additional ghee for spreading. The recipe makes 12-15 muffins. If you don't have buttermilk on hand, blend 1/2 cup yogurt with 1/2 cup water to use as a substitute, or add 1 tbsp lemon juice to a measuring cup. Pour in some milk to equal 1 cup. Let it sit for 5 minutes before adding to the recipe.
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar or organic brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon more or less, as desired
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder more or less, as desired
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg ground, more or less, as desired
- 1/8 tsp cloves ground, more or less, as desired
- 2 large egg(s)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup applesauce organic, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup raisins dark, golden or a combination
- 1/4 cup Ghee melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with natural cooking spray, or line with paper muffin cups. Set aside.
- Blend dry ingredients together.
- Separately, whisk liquid ingredients together, including the raisins. Add to dry ingredients, mixing until completely combined.
- Scoop batter equally into the muffin cups. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.
- Cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.