2 tablespoons ghee
3/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon hing ghee
1 small red onion, diced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 medium gold potato, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 cup of green peas (can be frozen)
1/4 cup of chopped toasted cashews
1-1/2 cups poha
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Lime wedges for serving
- First, we bloom the seeds to release their flavor. Heat the ghee in a large skillet on medium heat, and then add the mustard seeds and cover with a splatter screen (buy here). When the seeds pop, add the cumin seeds and hing ghee.
- Add the diced onions, and cook until they begin to brown.
- Then, stir in the ginger. Cook for 60 seconds, and add the potato, carrot, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir for 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup of filtered water, cover, and cook for five minutes until the vegetables are slightly soft.
- Next, stir in the tomato, turmeric, and green peas. Cook for 2 minutes or just enough to thaw the peas.
- Now, add the cashews, 1/4 cup of filtered water, and the poha. Mix thoroughly. The poha should soften almost instantly, but not disintegrate. If the poha is still hard and slightly dry, add water 1 TBSP at a time.
- Toss with the lime juice, and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
Recipe by Revived Kitchen