Chana Masala (Chickpea Curry)
Recipe Type: Entree
This recipe is vegetarian, paleo friendly, gluten-free and Whole30® compliant.
- 3 TBSP Pure Indian Foods ghee
- 4 cups boiled and strained chickpeas
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp Indian Five Spice
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1-1/2 tsp garam masala
- Heat ghee on medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add Indian Five Spice, and fry until it starts to pop. Cover the pan to prevent splattering.
- Add onions and green bell pepper, and cook until translucent.
- Add half of the tomatoes, ginger, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, and garam masala, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas. If too dry, add 1/4 cup water.
- Mix well, and simmer on low, covered for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add remaining tomato, cilantro and lime. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add salt to taste. Garnish with cilantro and serve.