- 4 1/2 oz split peas
- 1 lb small head green cabbage
- 3 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp brown mustard
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies dried
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric ground
- cilantro (optional)
- Boil about 3 cups of water.
- Pour over split peas and soak for 2 hours. Then, drain water thoroughly.
- Shred cabbage.
- Heat ghee in frying pan on low heat. Add mustard and cumin seeds, cover and let briefly pop.
- Add curry leaves, dried chillies and split peas, fry for about 5 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Add asafetida, turmeric and cabbage and fry (low heat) until cabbage is cooked and tender.
- Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve with a garnish of cilantro leaves if so desired.