Bhindi masala is easily a crowd favorite. Bhindi means okra, and masala means it is coated in spices.
- 1 lb okra
- 1 onion, red
- 1 TBSP Ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ajwain whole
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp amchoor powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet.
- Add the spices to the hot ghee and cook until aromatic, about 60 seconds. Allow the oil to penetrate the whole seeds to bring out the flavor.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the turmeric and salt. Then stir in okra and cook until the okra is no longer sticky and gooey and the okra is tender.
- Add cayenne, amchoor powder, and garam masala. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve with rice, naan, or roti.
I look forward to trying this recipe! I grew okra for the first time last year, and plan to plant seed that I saved from those plants, this year.
That’s so exciting!!